Richard Black | The Reporters

Friday, December 10, 2010

Photo of the Week

I'm now going to introduce Photo of the Week to keep me posting on this blog regularly. It seems that I forget about it for a few weeks and then I publish a bunch of stuff. Browsing on National Geographic's website I found this one:

To continue with an ocean sort of theme, I chose this image because of the contrast between the white sand and the grimy brown oil sludge washed up on the shore. This is a photo of Orange Beach, Alabama after the Gulf Oil Spill, otherwise known as the Deepwater Horizons spill.

Here are some ugly facts about this spill:

  • It is by far the world's largest accidental release of oil, spilling 5 million barrels (almost 795 million litres) of oil (source: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/03/us/03spill.html?_r=1 )
  • It killed 605 sea turtles, 97 mammals, 6104 birds
  • This will impact 400 species of wildlife and fish that are part of the Gulf ecosystem
  • The Gulf produces around a fifth of total US commercial seafood and three quarters of its shrimp 
Source: http://www.nwf.org/Oil-Spill/Effects-on-Wildlife.aspx

    No comments:

    Post a Comment